Translate

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vagaries of the mind

11 AM. I am out of my History of Modern World class. I start to walk. Aimlessly at the start, but after the first few steps I knew where I was headed: nowhere. Tremendous gusts of wind forced me to unintentionally (Or intentionally) deviate ever-so-slightly from my path. I didn't mind. After all, there are infinite ways to get to nowhere, aren't there? Or maybe, I was already there. I couldn't really tell. Tress whistled in frustration at this untimely intruder. I could empathize. Winds brought in their familiar companions: clouds. Not ordinary ones. Dark, ominous, heavily pregnant clouds. Rain wasn't welcome. Not today.

Drillfield (All rights belong to VT)

A few minutes later, something happened. The girl was in a chequered red top, black skirt with a brown hoodie on, and the guy had a slightly faded GAP sweatshirt. A couple lost in thoughts, surely. The girl was on the balls of her feet, arms around her man. Whispering something deep. Something romantic. Probably. They were there; right in the middle of countless pairs of legs streaming through the vast, spacious Drillfield, obviously oblivious of the sets of eyes that accompanied the legs. Standing there as if only they ruled the world. As if only they now possessed the key to something elusive that everyone else seemed to have lost or used up at some point in their lives. There was a spark in their eyes; a spark that only lovers can produce. Pretenders can imitate everything else, but that spark; it can only be the sole property of lovers.


"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."


I was no longer there; I was traveling. My mind took off to the past, rich with it's own incidents and memories, replacing the guy and the girl with familiar faces. Faces that once mattered. I almost yearned, but no; deep down I knew it was a void that didn't need filling. Not yet at least. You know how sometimes when looking down from great heights, we sometimes get a tiny urge to jump; it was that. Something so miniscule that it barely had time to reach the surface.  

***

In a quest to reach nowhere, I, my mind rather, ended up reaching somewhere. This abyss is deep. Convoluted. Tangled. But I am not lost. 

***

Steady thudding of rain droplets on my roof, on my window panes. The Rain Gods sure know how to keep a promise. 11: 27 PM.




No comments:

Post a Comment