Translate

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Significant Other


It was 10 minutes to 7. Shine On You Crazy Diamond. All twenty six minutes of it. The music came alive, steadily allowing itself to permeate through every nook and corner of my room. And then as a final act, entered my soul. We were one. Again. Good start, I thought.

Coffee was stronger than usual. By accident or design, I can't recall, but it was good. I allowed the familiar strong aroma of hot coffee do it's morning routine: to prep me up for the day physically. Braving the -3C chill, I set off for my 8 AM. 

As expected, it moved at snail's pace. Slower even. Every now and then, I felt the second-hand of my watch pause, as if following the theme of the class. 75 minutes passed. I was out and about in the cold again. Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there. Next class: Accounting. This should be fun, my mind cheered me up. I entered Torgesen, the building where my class was located.


Torgesen Bridge
And the first thing that met my eyes were a couple. They were neatly dressed: the guy in a black suit and the girl in a blood red skirt. Both were in my class. The girl's left palm was clenched tightly by the boy, and in her right hand, she held a bouquet of multi-colored roses. Of course. Saint Valentine's day. A day dedicated for lovers. Pretenders disguised as lovers make their appearance too. 2 more pairs appeared, lost in their little worlds. Again, both were from my class. Suddenly my mind played host to stupid worries; whether I would be the only one without a Valentine. Stupid, I know. But to my surprise and mid relief, others followed. Others like me. Dressed in normal clothes, hands free, minds occupied with 'regular' thoughts. Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky. 

The class brought me back to reality. A reality in which numbers were the sole governors of my focus. Numbers entice me. If only everything in this world could be broken down to bare numbers, stripping it of emotions. That way, we will be able to perceive life objectively, thus enabling us to make a higher percentage of correct decisions in various facets of life. That is my idea of an ideal world. But nothing is ideal in this world. Never will be.

***

Love is not blind - it sees more, not less. But because it sees more, it is willing to see less. 

The ability to love is a powerful quality to possess. Not all can love. We all try, often without success, but the few those who have tasted success know what it feels like. It's almost like any business venture, except in love, there is an additional 'emotion' factor, which makes it that much harder. Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.

***

It's past 12AM. And I am quickly downing the Butter Chicken that my brother prepared. The night is young, but not young enough for a movie. I start my day tomorrow in the 1930s. History of Modern World. But for now, I'm paying a visit to the 90s. Seinfeld it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment